A Dedication Ceremony
The 69th Pa "Irish Volunteers"
On Saturday June 26th at 11:00 AM the new
historical marker for the Pa 69th "Irish
Volunteers" was dedicated at the new CWPT
property at Glendale Battlefield in Henrico
County, Va. This marker, produced by Civil
War Trails, is the first marker on the
On June 30th, 1862, the 69th Pa conducted
a bayonet charge which recaptured Union
guns that had been captured from the
Pennsylvania Reserves by Confederate
forces. The public was invited to attend the
ceremony and all area Civil War historians
and buffs were welcomed.
Parking for the event was provided at the Gravel
Hill Baptist Church on Long Bridge Road. Vans
took guests to the trail head for the walk to the
foundations of the Whitlock House where the
marker is located. Speakers from the NPS, CWPT
and the 69th Pa marked the occasion and
dedicated the new marker. 37 Officers and men
from the unit retraced the route of the
69th attack by hiking through the wooden rolling
hillside and crossing two streams. Ten civilian
members of the 69th also attended the program.
Representatives of local Civil War Roundtables
and organization attended as well.